Tuesday, May 27, 2014

I'm a Lazy Sewist!

Lately I've been embracing lazy sewing, ie. no muslin, minimal hand sewing, etc. I know at some point I'll be getting back to sewing more involved projects, ie. my Style Arc Ziggi motorcycle jacket. I just haven't been in the mood for muslining though I did cut out a Cambie muslin so maybe I'm moving away from laziness?

Anyhow this was a productive weekend, I finished a pseudo Zinnia skirt and this April Rhodes Staple Dress . I chose the straight hemline with pockets. Admittedly it's maybe not the most flattering silhouette on me, through no fault of the pattern. I lowered the neckline into a scoop neck and used five rows of shirring. I think it would look best on a smaller bust with a larger waist to hip ration. That said I really like it for it's easy to wearness and how comfortable it is on a hot day. It also worked well with my stash. I used 3 yards of a scotty dog directional quilting cotton and felt like the combination worked well. I'm a bit larger that the measurements but there was more than enough ease so I think that someone with larger measurements than I could make it up no problem. I think I will make it up again because it's just so darn comfy.


Sunday, April 6, 2014

...And we're back!

I haven't been sewing much, just here and there working on my corset. I did finish this easy top by Jennifer Lauren Vintage. It was the perfect project to get back into sewing. I rebelled and didn't even make a muslin! No darts or pleats made this really appealing. Just an easy to wear vintage-inspired top. I made the size 20 but took an additional 5/8" off of the side seams and took a little bit off the front seam. Normally I measure my flat pattern but I was kind of stumped about how to go about this as it has kimono sleeves and wasn't sure where the armscye would end. I contacted Jennifer and she suggested measuring right when the sleeve ends. There's a bit of ease as it's meant to be a pull over top. I found that even though my measurements are slightly larger, I had no problems with the pattern. I used quilting cotton which was fine but I think Liberty lawn would have been better. However, I tend to buy my LL in 3 yard increments and I would have had 1 yard left over. I didn't want to "waste" the LL as I'm just not thin enough to eke out another project with 1 yarn of fabric. I'm not really one for mixing fabrics either. This is a great wearable muslin. I could have taken off more on the sides but I didn't want to ruin the easy to wear factor my making it too fitted. The length is perfect for me too. I think it was designed to be tucked in which I will never do but it falls just where I like it.

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

I'm not sure why I need to claim my blog. I guess if everyone jumped off a cliff, I'd jump with them!

Just so this isn't a pictureless blog post, here's the newest kitty to follow me home.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Sewaholic Renfrew

 
 
I have no idea why I waited so long to make this, I seem to be the last person who has. It was so easy and quick, I see many more in the not so distant future. I actually picked up a cherry print from Mood on Saturday during Lladybird's meet up. This was the perfect for the sewist who approaches knits with trepidation.

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Gifts for a Baby

No not my baby! While I didn't get as much done as I had hoped before my friend's baby's birth, I'm proud of how these came out. 

I don't often work with knit fabrics but I'm pleased with these. I did things a little differently from the pattern. Most notably, I used foe instead of bias binding.


I took the Wee Ones class on Craftsy and stuck it out. I think it'd be easy for an intermediate knitter but as a beginner it was challenging. I'm glad I stuck it out and finished the bunny, even if he's a little deformed.

 
Needless to say, the parents are non-traditional, hence the Motorhead diaper bag. Figuring out the adjustable straps ended up being the most challenging part.







This entailed a lot of frogging and redoing but I'm happy with the end result, even if it's not perfect. It's my first sweater!

Monday, October 29, 2012

Oops I Did It Again

I bought more fabric than I had planned. I went out specifically to buy this hammered silk wool for a pencil skirt. I had first spied this fabric about a year and a half ago. In a rare instance of frugality, I did not purchase it at the time which is not like me. More likely I already had a pile of fabric ready to be purchased. I waited and waited and the price went up! So I bought this fabric but then I also found a gorgeous wool with lace fused to it. It's the same fabric that Gertie is using for her Butterick sew along but in a much more "me" color.

This is my unplanned fabric:
100_1959.JPG

This is what I went in to buy:
100_1958.JPGI think it's apparent that my favorite color is purple!

Thursday, October 25, 2012

New Pattern Lovelies

I recently acquired this book from Ebay France. Called Eclair Coupe Paris, it is similar to Lutterloh in that many sizes are included in the book that you must resize using the special ruler. The book did not come with these rulers but I can get reproduction ones so I'm not too concerned.  The auction included just one photo of the inside and the seller wasn't sure about the date but I guessed it to be from some time in the 30s and I believe I'm right. I'm so thrilled to have this and I'm thinking about making a coat from the book. I guess my pictures will go up in separate posts. For some reason I can't get the links to work.

I edited this post and added this from my desktop. I don't know why the link isn't working. Maybe I should go back to using Photobucket.

My Reviews